Megan Schlabaugh is the owner of Megan Lynn Interiors, a DC based design firm. She combines her decade of experience in construction management with her love of design to create timeless and thoughtful spaces. She’s passionate about helping clients navigate the design and construction process and would love to answer your design questions, solve a tricky layout, pick the perfect paint color or source that tile you saw on Pinterest.
Book A Consultation
Book A Consultation
Book A Consultation
Pros have certain areas of expertise, and some have broader knowledge bases than others, so be sure you’ve selected someone with the skills and background that your project requires. Here are some ideas of general topics that our Pros cover.
- Construction process and project management
- Remodel guidance and second opinions (vetting quotes, timeline & budget questions)
- Architectural guidance (review of drafted plans, layout advice, questions on material specifications)
- Old house renovation tips (buying an old house, guidance for updating an old house)
- Materials selection (painting questions, tile questions, flooring questions, etc)
- Wall treatments (questions and guidance on painting/plaster, how to install wallpaper)
- Plumbing projects (how to change faucet, unclog a toilet, etc)
- Carpentry projects (how to refinish kitchen cabinets, custom cabinetry, basic woodworking)
- Basic electric projects (how to change a light fixture, add dimmers)
- DIY Decor (how to flip furniture, hang a gallery wall, IKEA hacks, etc)
- General handyperson (how to change hardware, change door hinges, hang shelves)
- Tilework and installation (how to tile backsplash, how to tile bathroom floor)
Our Pros are handpicked across a variety of licensed trades and DIY skill sets. You’ll find general contractors, plumbers, electricians, carpenters, handypeople, and DIYers. You are able to sort and filter Pros by trade or project type. Still not sure who you want to hire? You can always email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a description of your project and/or questions and we’ll be happy to point you in the right direction.
We strongly recommend completing your pre-consultation questionnaire and submitting all relevant photos to your Pro prior to your session with ample time for them to review it. Depending on your project type, measurements, tools, drawings or images might be useful. If you plan to execute your project during your consultation, be sure to have your full toolbox and all of your materials handy. It’s always helpful to have access to the area or project you are working on from your video device during the consultation. Make sure that area is well lit. Be sure to have note taking material handy. Most of all, ensure you have a strong internet signal for your video consultation.
Here are some specific examples of projects that can’t be covered in a Pro consultation.
- Plumbers can’t provide DIY advice on how to execute complex plumbing over video, but Pros can advise on who to call and what to expect in these situations. Examples are: removing tree roots in pipes, or repairing backed up sewer line.
- Electricians can’t provide DIY advice on how to execute complex electrical work over video, but Pros can advise on who to call and what to expect in these situations. Examples are: re-wiring in walls, ungrounded outlets, malfunctioning switches.
- Location-specific ordinances aren’t suitable for Pro consultations. Examples are: building or construction limitations imposed by your community, city or state; floodplain laws and restrictions; weather-specific or terrain/soil-specific building requirements.
- Structural assessments aren’t suitable for Pro consultations. Examples are: whether structural elements are sound; foundation interventions; negative drainage issues.
- In person support or tangible deliverables.
- Pros are unable to provide exact dimensions or measurements that are specific to your site/project.
Consultations are limited to the timeframe that they were originally booked for and can’t be extended. If you need more time, book a fresh session with your Pro.
You are able to book sessions until 24 hours before that session is scheduled to begin. Sessions scheduled within 48 hours of the start time run a greater risk of needing to be rescheduled.
When you select a Pro, and click on “Book a Time,” you’ll see your own timezone displayed on the upper right hand corner of the calendar. All meeting times will be displayed in your local timezone.
Matriarchy Build is built by women, and built for everyone. We take pride in our female-first perspective, but we also invite male and non-binary folks to participate in our community. Our community reveres and is made stronger by inclusivity and diversity. No tool know-how is required to participate: all levels of knowledge and experience are welcome. We have a firm “positive vibes, no mansplaining” policy.